As I was scrolling down Pinterest’s infinite pages a couple days ago, getting lost in the many depths of baking inspiration, I stumbled across what appeared to be a blueberry muffin in the form of a cake.
Its official name is Buttermilk-Blueberry Breakfast Cake!
It was very easy to make, and it tastes great, too! 😀 It would be absolutely amazing with coffee. I’ll have to buy/make some the next time I make this cake to accompany and compliment it.
And so, without further ado, I’ll just go ahead and write out the recipe. If you decide to make it for yourself, please comment down below on how it went! Happy baking!
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp. lemon zest (or more)
7/8 cup of sugar (equal to 3/4 cup and 2 Tbsp) + 1 Tbsp for sprinkling
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour (set aside 1/4 cup of this to toss with blueberries)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. Kosher salt
2 cups blueberries
1/2 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cream butter and the lemon zest with the 7/8 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg and vanilla. Try to look at least half as enthusiastic about this step as I did. (Haha!) Beat in until combined.
4. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, toss blueberries with the 1/4 cup of flour.
5. In a separate bowl, mix together the remaining flour, baking powder, and salt.
6. Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk into the batter, alternating between them.
7. Fold in the blueberries.
8. Grease a baking dish (I used a 12×6) with nonstick spray and spread the batter into it. Sprinkle on the remaining tablespoon of sugar (although honestly, half that amount would probably do better).
9. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
10. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed this little dessert post.